We Are Open! - A Response to COVID-19 from MR Direct

Read More

To our loyal customers:

We hope this message reaches you and your family in safe conditions amid the health concerns affecting our communities.

We are open and our orders are shipping but during this time please allow extra time for your projects. We want to make sure we take the proper steps to ensure the health and safety of our customers and team members. Because of this we cannot currently guarantee the shipping time displayed by our shipping calculator from all of our distribution centers at this time. Please allow a grace period of 2-4 days and plan your projects accordingly. When your order ships you will receive tracking.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us for further assistance.

Best regards,

The MR Direct Team


Browse Blog Categories

  • Design Tips
  • Toggle Reading Mode
  • X
5 Tips to Maximize the Natural Light in Your Home
March 30, 2017

Natural lighting in the home has several advantages. Most obviously, sunlight can save you big bucks on your electric bill. The economic advantages are undeniable. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating your home typically accounts for 42% of your utility bill, while the average household also dedicates 5% of its energy bill to lighting. In total, about 47% of the energy we use is dedicated to heat and light. What's amazing is that the sun provides both of these resources for free.

But then benefits don't stop there. While natural light conserves electric energy in your home, it can fuel the energy level in our bodies.

It's scientifically proven that exposure to sunlight improves productivity and makes us happier, healthier, and calmer. Natural light also combats Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD); promotes restorative sleep patterns; helps reduce eye strain; and increases our Vitamin D levels.

In terms of the ambiance of your home, natural light can transform the appearance of a room. Many architects and designers seek well-lit spaces because they're more aesthetically pleasing and appear to be larger. Seriously, what's not to love about a little sunshine streaming through your windows?

But what if your house doesn't have many windows, and skylight renovations aren't in your budget? Here are 5 affordable tips to help you maximize the existing natural light in your home:

1. Incorporate Mirrors in your Home Decor – Mirrors reflect light. It's kind of their job. Hang them (or other reflective decor pieces) opposite your windows or glass doors.

2. Choose Light Color Palettes – Light color palettes reflect sunlight better than darker ones. When choosing an interior color scheme, spend some time in each room and get to know the space. How does the shifting sunlight affect your surroundings throughout the day?

A room with northern exposure receives less daylight than southern-facing rooms. So, in this case, a warm color palette would soften shadows and bode well with more hours of artificial light.

3. Rearrange Your Furniture - Position your furniture so that it's at least a few feet away from windows and glass doors. That way, it won't block any incoming light.

4. Ditch Heavy or Dark Curtains – For many people, having curtains or drapes is necessary for privacy. Choose light, airy curtains or consider blinds as an alternative. Blinds still offer privacy at night, but give you control over the amount of light that comes in during the day.

5. Clean –Regularly cleaning your windows keeps them dirt-free and transparent so sunbeams can come through and dazzle your home.